School Council is an important part of helping our young people to become active, democratic citizens. Our school council is a representative group of pupils elected by their peers to represent their views and raise issues with the senior managers and governors of their school. Throughout the year, two class representatives are selected each term, this means more children can contribute to the leadership of School Council.
The school council can also take forward initiatives and projects on behalf of their peers, and be involved in strategic planning for the school.
Our School Council aims to:
- Ensure that pupil voice feels that their school responds to their needs;
- Have the opportunity to let adults know their feelings and opinions about things that affect them;
- Value and listen to the opinions of others,
- Have a say about decision, and to play an active role in making our school a better place;
- Develop active life skills through participating
- Enjoy and feel empowered by taking part in School Council projects;
- Contribute to the planning of charitable and fundraising work;
- Meet regularly to ensure School Council is active and making a difference.
This year, the School Council have fundraised and taken forward the following projects:
- Fundraising for books for the library (October - December 2023)
- Began the democratic process of choosing new outside equipment for the field (January - now 2024)
Here are our current Yealmpton School Councillors: